Known internationally as a premier museum and research location, The Frick Collection resides along 5th Avenue and 70th Street in the Upper East Side. It is home to Old Master paintings as well as outstanding examples of European sculpture and decorative arts. The collection was assembled by the Pittsburgh industrialist Henry Clay Frick (1849–1919) and is housed in his former residence on Fifth Avenue. The residence formally opened as a museum in 1935 and has continued to acquire works following Frick’s death. Included are works by Bellini, Vermeer, Rembrandt, and many more. Upon his death in 1919, Frick left behind his paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints. Today, the Frick has expanded to house an impressive 1,100 artworks ranging from the Renaissance era through the late nineteenth century.
The Frick Collection
Furthermore, adjacent to the mansion is The Frick Art Reference Library, founded by Frick’s daughter, Helen Clay Frick, in 1920. It serves as one of the city’s leading art history research centers. The Library charms art and history enthusiasts, while the museum welcomes people who want to simply enjoy calm a stroll.