Decommissioned in 1966, the Brooklyn Navy Yard, also known as the United States Navy Yard or the New York Naval Shipyard, was a shipyard located east of the Battery on the East River in Wallabout Basin.
The first ship to be completed on location, the USS Ohio, was designed by Henry Eckford and launched in 1820. When it began, the Brooklyn Navy Yard employed mechanics and laborers, mostly as day labor. Nevertheless, by the American Civil War, the yard had expanded to employ thousand of skilled mechanics working around the clock. In 1890, the ill-fated Maine launched from the yard.
In its peak production building warships for the United States Navy, it covered over 200 acres of land. During World War II when they were working 24/7, the 70,000 workers gave it the nickname “The Can-Do Shipyard,” because their tremendous efforts could “do anything.”
The Brooklyn Navy Yard has transformed into a mecca for private manufacturing and commercial activity. To date, the site houses over 200 businesses with 5,000 employees. This includes Brooklyn Grange Farms, a 65,000-square-foot farm on top of Building 3 and Steiner Studios, one of the largest production studios outside of Los Angeles. Additionally, it houses the Brooklyn Navy Yard Arts, an artist association formed to support its creative renters.